This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Papillary breast carcinoma in men: a rare presentation
Corresponding Author(s) : Ivan David Lozada Martinez
Ciencia e Innovación en Salud,
Introduction: The male breast encompasses a number of conditions that can be both benign and malignant, the most common cause of increased male breast, gynecomastia. Male breast cancer is a very rare entity that accounts for less than 1% of all breast cancers.
Case Report: We present the case of a 44-year-old patient, who is presented to the emergency department by a picture of approximately one year of evolution, consisting of tumefaction located in left breast with erythema and pain, becoming the diagnosis of mass tumor.
Discussion: Male breast cancer is an uncommon entity, accounting for about 1% of all male cancers. The most commonly observed histological subtypes of male breast cancer are non-special invasive carcinoma (84-90%) papillary carcinoma (2-5%). The other histological subtypes are very rare.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Shaaban AM. Pathology of the male breast. Diagnostic Histopathology. 2019; 24: 138-42. https://www.diagnostichistopathology.co.uk/article/S1756-2317(19)30005-2/abstract
- Sun HF, Zhao Y, Gao SP, Li LD, Fu WY, Jiang HL, Chen MT, Yang LP, Jin W. Clinicopathological characteristics and survival outcomes of male breast cancer according to race: a SEER population-based study. Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 69680-90. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29050233
- Gómez RC, Zambrana F, Serreno M, López M, Casado E. Male breast cancer. Cancer Treatment Reviews. 2010; 36:451-7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20193984
- Mesa G, Matute G, Estrada M, Ocampo A, Restrepo C, Estrada J. Cáncer mamario en hombres. Rev Colomb Cir. 2011; 26:293-307. http://www.scielo.org.co/pdf/rcci/v26n4/v26n4a7.pdf
- Trépant AL, Hoorens A, Noël JC. Pure invasive micropapillary carcinoma of the male breast: report of a rare case with C-MYC amplification. Pathol Res Pract. 2014; 210(12):1164-6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25042382
- Lakhani SR, WHO Classification of Tumours of the Breast. Fourth ed., International Agency for research on cancer, Lyon. 2012; 65:168. http://apps.who.int/bookorders/anglais/detart1.jsp?codlan=1&codcol=70&codcch=4004
- American Cancer Society. What are the key statistics about breast cancer in men? Atlanta. [Internet]. [Consultado 9 Sep 2019]. Disponible en: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer-in-men/about/key-statistics.html
- Anand G, Al-Khalisi N, Arif D, Hamidpour S, Lewis T. Rare case of male breast intraductal papilloma progressing to invasive ductal carcinoma: A radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiol Case Rep. 2018; 13(3):602-605. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30073044
- Selcukbiricik F, Tural D, Aydoğan F, Beşe N, Büyükünal E, Serdengeçti S. Male breast cancer: 37-year data study at a single experience center in Turkey. J Breast Cancer. 2013; 16(1):60-5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23593083
- Jamy O, Rafiq A, Laghari A, Chawla T. Male breast cancer: a 24 year experience of a tertiary care hospital in Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015; 16(4):1559-63. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25743831
- Amirifard N, Sadeghi E, Payandeh M, Mohebbi H, Sadeghi M, Choubsaz M. Relationship between HER2 Proto-oncogene status and prognostic factors of breast cancer in the west of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016; 17:295-8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26838227
- Amirifard N, Sadeghi E. Breast Cancer in Men: a Report from the Department of Radiation Oncology in Kermanshah Province, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016; 17(5): 2593-2596. https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/27268636
- Rodrigues FR, da Silva AV, de Oliveira Teixeira CM, Antunes SC, Rochael MC. Two cases of male breast cancer at a university hospital in southeast Brazil. Int J Gen Med. 2013; 6:503–506. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3698024/
- Yılmaz R, Günöz Cömert R, Aliyev S, Toktaş Y, Önder S, Önder S, Emirikçi S, Özmen V. Encapsulated Papillary Carcinoma in A Man with Gynecomastia: Ultrasonography, Mammography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Features with Pathologic Correlation. Eur J Breast Health. 2018; 14: 127-131. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5939977/
- Rodríguez MC, Secades AL, Angulo JM. Best cases from the AFIP: intracystic papillary carcinoma of the breast. Radiographics. 2010; 30:2021- 2027. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21057133
- Kumar H, Ail DA, Prakash G. Intracystic papillary carcinoma of the breast with associated invasive carcinoma: a rare case report. Res Rev J Med Heal Sci. 2014; 3:43–46. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28764176
- Kishor HS, Dhiraj BN, Rajshri PD, Dravid N, Tayde Y. An Unusual case of intracystic papillary carcinoma of breast with invasive component. Int J Med Res Heal Sci. 2014;3:762-65. http://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:ijmrhs&volume=3&issue=3&article=049
- Rakha EA, Ellis IO. Diagnostic challenges in papillary lesions of the breast. Pathology. 2018; 50(1):100-110. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29179906
- Kumar M, Pottipati B, Arakeri SU, Javalgi AP. Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma Co-Existing with Intraductal Papillary Carcinoma of Male Breast: A Rare Case Report. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017; 11(6):ED04-ED05. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28764176
- Javidiparsijani S, Rosen LE, Gattuso P. Male breast carcinoma: a clinical and pathological review. Int J Surg Pathol. 2017; 25(3):200–5. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1066896916675953
- Kinoshita H, Kashiwagi S, Teraoka H, Mori T, Kuroda K, Nanbara M, Noda E, Chikugo T, Hirakawa K, Ohira M. Intracystic papillary carcinoma of the male breast: a case report. World J Surg Oncol. 2018; 16(1):15). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5781267/